The Council of State Governments will host a webinar entitled “Inclusion Works: Strategies for Establishing States as Model Employers of People with Disabilities” on October 27, 2022 from 3:00 – 4:30 pm ET. This webinar will highlight innovative state policies and practices aimed at increasing the employment of people with disabilities in the public sector. These policies include
- Extending diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Developing comprehensive, government-wide strategic plans.
- Instituting fast-track and other hiring systems to facilitate employment.
- Enacting advancement and retention practices.
- Ensuring accessibility of information and communication technology.
- Ensuring availability of personal assistance services.
- Developing disability awareness training for state personnel.
Speakers will discuss the state as a model employer policies and practices in their local context and the impact of these policies on public sector employment of people with disabilities. Speakers include:
- Elizabeth Gordon – Executive Director of the Governor’s Committee on Disability Issues and Employment, Washington
- Representative Camille Lilly – Illinois General Assembly
- Representative Naquetta Ricks – Colorado General Assembly
- Representative Catherine Abercrombie – Connecticut House of Representatives
A 10-minute Q&A session will follow speaker presentations.
- Register for here for the webinar “Inclusion Works: Strategies for Establishing States as Model Employers of People with Disabilities”
- Read “The State as a Model Employer of People with Disabilities: Policies and Practices for State Leaders” [PDF]